Zucchini Waffles Recipe | Keto Zucchini Chaffle
Adding Zucchini to your breakfast waffles is a great way to get some fibres and freshness for the day ahead.
I find this to be a convenient recipe to finish off any leftover pieces of zucchini.
Today’s dish is a savoury Chaffle. Chaffle is a keto-ers way of making a waffle. In its basic form, a Chaffle is low carb waffle made with cheese and egg on a waffle plate.
This low-carb waffle is famous in keto community because of the ease and versatility of the dish.
I like these crispy waffles, and hence this recipe features a trick to make Chaffles crispy. A crispy waffle could be substituted for a keto pizza base too!
Let’s look at the ingredients for Savoury Zucchini Waffle Recipe:
1 cup grated zucchini, ¼ cup Mozzarella, ½ cup of parmesan cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp of fresh herbs, salt & pepper to taste and some butter or almond oil to glaze the waffle plate.
How to make zucchini waffle?
- Peel and grate the zucchini. Add salt and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from zucchini. To avoid pressing the zucchini tightly, I prefer to use paper towels to dry out their moisture.
- Break the eggs into a bowl. Use a whisk to beat the eggs.
- Now, switch on the waffle maker, so that waffle iron is hot when you pour the mixture.
- Add the zucchini and fresh herbs to the bowl, followed by the mozzarella.
- Keeping two teaspoons aside, add in all the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Add the salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Whisk well to make the chaffle dough. Do not worry if the water from zucchini makes your mixture look slightly runny.
- Brush the waffle iron with butter or almond oil.
- Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese on your waffle iron. This step is essential to make your waffles crispy.
- Pour the mixture onto the waffle maker.
- Spread the mixture.
- Sprinkle parmesan again on the top.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes. This savoury Chaffle may take a minute longer to cook as the moisture from the zucchini has to evaporate.
- Steaming is a sign that your chaffle is still not cooked.
- Use tongs to remove the waffle onto your plate.
Enjoy this food, like a breakfast waffle, as a bread slice or as a keto pizza base.
This recipe will make two chaffle slices, and each slice is about 2 grams of net carbs.